Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Does Race Exist?

Does race exist? I'm not so sure...

Why does race exist? How is it possible to draw a fine line between white and black, literally, when a person has so much background to them. A person is so much more than their skin color.
Race is just a social construction that we created. We grew lines in the sand as to what makes a person African American, or Asian etc; We essentially are the ones that created races and eventually stereotypes because we love to categorize and put people into groups just by a glance.
When we did that placement game in class today, I thought for sure I wasn't that far off in putting people into what race I thought they belonged in. Out of 20, I only got 2 correct! In real life, I can only imagine how many people I mis-categorize.

2 comments:

  1. It's true that by looking at someone, we catagorize them in a certain race but we're not always correct. People even look at me and ask what race am i. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's people who created race in order to justify stereotypes and racism, and it's sad that many people don't realize that they base their opinions on nothing.

    ReplyDelete