Since I am in the teen years of my life, I am considered a teenager, thus I am going through my adolescence phase. What a bunch of bologna. In some ways, I wish our culture was less about being the legal age to be mature enough to do something, and more about being mature when you are mature.
Just because I was 16, society allows me to obtain my driver's license. To be completely honest, I shouldn't of been able to drive. Even though I've never been in an accident (knock on wood) with only ten hours under my belt before getting my license, I for sure wasn't ready. Because I was 16, however, my parents made me go to the DMV and take the test.
I think that age is only a number. That everyone matures differently depending on what surrounds them. Since I have a late birthday, all my friends had their licenses and I much rather be driven around than being the driver. However, maybe if I grew up and it was my responsibility to get somebody somewhere (i.e. a little sister to dance class,) I would have felt a stronger need for my license. I think it should be more about if you are emotionally ready for something, rather than you have reached a certain age to do it.
I agree taht age is only a number, and we're all not ready to do things at the same time. Society has lead us to believe taht some great cahnge occurs on those birthdays becasue now all of a sudden we get all tehse new privlges, but they dont always fit what we can do.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I was soo ready to get my license. I was practically counting down the days. I believed I was ready way before my actual birthday and I did not magically become a more mature driver when I turned 16. If I was ready at 15, I think I should have been able to get my license.
ReplyDeleteI think age is only a number also. People totally mature at different ages and are ready to handle things at varying ages.
ReplyDelete