Advertising- it's funny to think that it doesn't effect us. The truth is, the media has a huge impact on how we live. It is one of the biggest influences in our lives. The worst part? The silent messages seep through when we are idly flipping the pages of a magazine, or driving on the highway and glancing at a billboard.
One of the problems with advertisements is that none of them are pure. What do I mean by pure? I mean that advertisers spend hours and hours critiquing and photo shopping images to create the "perfect" picture. Sure, the ad might be more visually appealing and alluring, I'm not disagreeing with that; However, I am disagreeing that this shouldn't be happening in the first place! Because advertisers are selling this false ideal beauty, they do not realize the effect it has on a person's self esteem. Advertisements are just one of the factors that contribute to how we act, because they give us a sense of what is socially acceptable in society today. If these woman, for example, are all sizes 0 and 00, then it is silently forcing other women to be that size too. The problem is that not all women can be this size and if they fail then it lowers their self-esteem. Even though there is no way to avoid being influenced by the media, we need to realize what the ads are silently trying to tell us and be aware of it.
I agree that it is impossible to completely ignore the media. It is up to us to separate what is fake from what is real. As you mentioned, many of these ads don't portray realistic women and effects young girls in our society negatively.
ReplyDelete