Thursday, October 7, 2010

Money doesn't equal happieness?

Green. Currency. Dough. 

All those words are synonyms for the word money. I used to think happiness was in that list- but now I'm not so sure. 
In the book, Elsewhere, U.S.A., people were interviewed who make 200k or more. I for sure thought they would say how money has made them so happy because they can buy whatever they want, go where ever they want, and be who ever they want. But no. Instead, they still consider themselves, "poor" and unsatisfied in life. 
Honestly, my first reaction was-wow, these people are so greedy and spoiled! Even though that may be true, I don't think that's completely why they feel so...poor. 
When I first started working, even though I make minimum wage, I was on cloud 9 when I got my paycheck. After awhile, however, I began to feel unsatisfied, and began to search for baby sitting jobs for extra cash. 
American culture subconsciously forces us to always keeping wanting more, to never settle. When it comes to money, people are never satisfied with their bank amount. People are constantly trying to find new ways to get rich(er). Taking a step back, I don't think money is everything. Even though money is important, it's not everything. It's about surrounding yourself with the people that matter and the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment